Monday, November 02, 2009

Its been a while:

No desire to post AT ALL. Just throwin out some crap just to get the juices flowing.

1. My wife and I have been running three times a week. I've been circuit training at the gym twice a week. I've also been bouldering twice a week either with NTT's Brain or Rave-boy. End result? My body is perpetually in agony. BTW, I LOVE rock climbing. It really comes naturally to me. After less than two months, I'm hitting V3's. I'm realizing all of it is technique and less about strength. I've relied on brute force to get me up the wall but every time I see a 100lb spindly woman climb up much more difficult boulders it hits me every time how this is all about skill. I'm addicted to climbing.

2. My car rocks. It drives itself, sips gas, and has the loudest stereo I've ever owned. And all hail GPS! And 9000 RPM is music to my ears.

3. Work: As much as I love what I do, every-so-often I see a client I'd like to slap over and over and over again. I know, it's called "counter-transference" and I wallow in it so.

4. Bridge closure: Last Wednesday it took me 2 hours and 14 minutes to get to work, and 2 hours and 7 minutes to get home. I crossed 3 bridges and drove 114 in one frickin day. The entire bridge issue is a complete cluster-fuck debacle. Nuff said.

5. The Richmond gang rape: Didn't want to blog about it but this story has inflamed me with rage. A fifteen year old girl gets brutally gang raped by six men over a two and a half hour period. 180 minutes of pure hell on earth. She was also beaten within an inch of her life. All the while some dozen bystanders watched, took photos, took movies, and did NOTHING.

When the news first broke I told my wife before the News segment ended, "Watch. These idiots are going to blame the school." And low and behold, that's exactly what happened. The problem is and will forever be that we can and will NEVER deal with these kinds of problems if we can't be HONEST with ourselves and each other about what is REALLY going on.

The community claims that this gang rape would never have occurred if they had more Police Officers and security cameras. Now lets take a closer look at this idiotic logic. I suppose they believe that the reason why gang rapes don't occur in San Mateo or Pleasanton or Castro Valley or Gilroy or Marin etc.etc.etc.etc. is that these School Districts have a dozen Police Officers, security cameras, metal detectors, and roving campus security 24/7, Hmmm? No dipshit. Its the same reason why I feel comfortable and safe walking down a street in Burlingame and fear for my life walking down a street in Richmond, ie. all communities are not the same.

This is going to sound obvious to anyone with half a brain but the problem with violence, drugs, gangs, and rape in Richmond can't be solved by schools, nor by Law Enforcement, nor by touchy feely community programs (and this is from a Public Health worker!). They can help, but it cannot by itself stem this tide.

These notions are soo basic and fundamental I actually feel dumb writing it. There isn't any morsels of wisdom in my diatribe. None at all. Any sixth grader can figure this one out. And yet what we will see over the upcoming weeks is the finger of blame pointed squarely at the School and at Law Enforcement and Administration and at local government. So lets see, the reason Belmont School District doesn't have gang rapes and gang murders is because they have a comprehensive "Anti-Gang Rape, Anti-Gang Murder Curriculum" that Richmond School District doesn't have due to budgetary reasons or lack of administrative foresight? I mean that MUST be the reason.

I'm getting angry so I'll cut it off here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home