Monday, July 09, 2007

The neighborhood Duck.

Bizarrely cute thing happened the other day. I was washing my car when a duck flew down to check on my progress. She waddled across the street and visited a neighbor, walked right up to her and then walked back to my driveway. She stopped a couple feet from me and looked up.



I had a notion about what the duck was silently requesting so I went ahead and slowly turned the nozzle to my garden hose and began spraying her with a cool mist of water. She walked underneath the shower and began to bathe. After several minutes, she seemed finished and walked onto our grass lawn. I went inside to fetch my wife. She had to see what was going on.

When I returned to my garage, I realized she had walked into it and was waiting for me. I slowly went into a closet and pulled out our bag of bird feed and grabbed a handful. I then sat on the floor of our garage and stuck my hand out. She didn't miss a beat and simply walked over and without hesitation ate from my open palm. The duck's beak makes a near vibrating movement as it pecks...funny.



My wife took some pictures and sat down next to me. The duck walked over to her and proceeded to practically sit on her lap to get to some seeds my wife had placed on her pants...totally cute. I'm completely amazed at this duck's total lack of fear. Anywayz, after the duck had finished it's snack, it walked down our driveway and into the neighbors yard...they were washing their car as well. My neighbor looked down at her and smiled.

That night my wife and I were sitting down to have dinner with some friends at a crazy good Burmese place on Park. We scanned down their menu and saw "Passion Duck in Mango Sauce"......and decided to order the chicken instead.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve T. said...

Great stuff SG......yeah I guess you can't eat the little guys after you see them.....that's why I can't eat anything that I can still identify....

5:39 AM  
Blogger Steve T. said...

My Wife and Step-Daughter loved the story so much that they wanted you to keep them informed if the Duck comes back to visit again...

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home